Saturday, April 6, 2013

Week 5.5 - Easter Break - Going with the 'Flow'

This picture was drawn to represent how our competing designs were set against each other like gladiators, with the one best representing 'Flow' emerging victorious. In the end, the group decided not to use this cartoon in the presentation. However, I never consider drawing a cartoon a waste :D
There were no lectures or tutorials this week. However, there was still the group project to work on.

Group Project - Flow (Week 3.5 of 4)

Lava Design - Third Iteration
The third iteration has a central spoke so as to further reduce friction when turning. The spoke stops the sides from touching. Also, a platform on the spoke supports the candles (light/heat source), so that they are not turning as well, like they would have been in the previous incarnation. I have left it to another team member to add the sail/blade design that generates the turning force. Someone told me that my final drawing of the design looked like some kind of dessert. Some people are just always thinking with their stomachs :P

This picture was added to further explain how the concept came into being. The first explanation is to say that the flowing lines of lava were reminiscent of the turning groves of a screw. The second explanation is to simply say that we looked at this project and said "We're Screwed" :D


Lava Design - 3D Prototype

For the group project, I wanted to have some kind of 3D animation of the design, even if it would only be basic. However, one person had a tiny bit of experience, and the rest of us had none. The one with at least a touch of experience said they would try to come up with something. Of course, out of my own interest, I thought I would see what I could do, even with no experience. I used the 3D utility called Blender, since it's free and seemed quite powerful. I came up with the following animation. Part of the reason I did this was also to be a back up to what the other member was doing. Luckily I did, since they didn't get very far, and mine's going to be used.

Following is a still image of the 3D animation, then the animation on You-Tube.

After making a simplistic representation of the Lava design, I did some exploration of what Blender can be used to make, and came across the following web page. My efforts seem quite embryonic by comparison, but we all have to start somewhere. In particular, Number 3 (Transformation) on that web page, seems like it's a design project ramped up to a highly polished level. But other animations had more emotional impact for me.
http://www.blenderguru.com/27-inspiring-blender-animations-that-will-make-your-jaw-drop/


transformation from Andre B on Vimeo.


Project Cartoons

"And we're sure that there is only one thing that will be brought to the minds of people who see our slowly turning dome..." :D . Sadly, while this cartoon was almost included in our presentation, it was pulled at the last minute. Maybe the next project will allow some of my humour to shine through :)
I drew a couple of cartoons for the presentation of the group project, which includes the title cartoon for this week. It was nice to find out that one of the other team member likes to draw, meaning that I'm not the only one who is a bit whimsical :) . The other team members seemed OK about adding a bit of humour to our presentation (or at least they did. In the end it ended up being a fairly 'straight' presentation).

These pictures were drawn for our project, by one of the other group members. They were considered safer 'section titles', and were included in the presentation.


Well, in the first week back after the break, it's time to present our designs. Destination approaching!


No comments:

Post a Comment